We interviewed the inspiring Jonny Gardner on his EAS journey last week and this week, we’re chatting to him about the importance of doing the IAAPA Institute for Attractions Managers course.What inspired you to enroll for the course and what was the process for registering? The inspiration actually came from our very own attractions super star and Attractions Africa’s Executive Director Sabine Lehmann! We met briefly for a coffee back in July when I needed to bounce some ideas off her and, as always, she pointed me in the perfect direction, which was both the Attractions Managers course and conference. What a gem! Registration was an easy online process Would you please elaborate on what exactly the course entailed? The course is an immersive classroom type with various presentations focused on the below. We finished with a group-based case study where we presented to a ‘board of directors’. The presentations included:
- Attractions Finance: Managing capital, expense and revenue budgeting, and other financial tools.
- Attractions Marketing: Marketing, media relations, advertising, group sales, and public relations.
- Attractions Leadership: Human resources development strategies
- Facility Operations and Safety: Industry regulation, facility management best practices, and crisis management.
- Attractions Revenue Operations: food and beverage, merchandise, pay-per-experience attractions, and rental services revenue.